Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Paneer Butter Masala

With the landmark Birthday and all the hullabaloo just gone by, I was contemplating which recipe to post next from the stockpile and then came across a rather overwhelming comment from a friend (which I had missed earlier) and I knew what to post. The urge to eat vegetarian food is relatively new for me, though A is completely in awe with good Paneer preparations; I was never very fond of them. I am rather choosy about the Paneer I eat; totally love the ones they serve at The Great Kabab Factory, Radisson, when eating at home, I only prefer getting fresh Paneer from a Dairy. On those rare occasions when I got them, A was the one who prepared the dish. After we moved to this part of the Country, I was told that Milky Mist Paneer (from Nandini Dairy – the most famous Dairy in Bangalore) was the best available here.



The other day when I was out grocery shopping, I found the same Paneer and got a pack, quite reluctantly. I thought I will ask my Cook to make something, then changed my mind and thought of making some Paneer Butter Masala, a very comforting Indian dish wish Cottage Cheese.

Here is what you will need to make Paneer Butter Masala:
Serves – 4

·        Paneer/Cottage Cheese : 200 gms
·        Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
·        Whole Dry Red Chilis – 2
·        Cinnamon – 1” stick
·        Green Cardamom – 2
·        Cloves – 2 to 3
·        Unsalted Butter 1 tbsp - (If using the salted version, go low on the loose salt added to the dish)
·        Onion – chopped – 1 large
·        Ginger and Garlic paste – 1tsp
·        Milk – 1 cup
·        Tomatoes – chopped – 2 medium
·        Chili Powder – 1 tsp
·        Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
·        Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
·        Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
·        Kasuri Methi – 1 tbsp
·        Green Peas – ½ cup - optional
·        Salt to taste
·        Sugar to balance



How to prepare Paneer Butter Masala:

·        Cut the Paneer out into small cubes and set aside
·        Pour cooking oil into a large skillet and add the butter, let the butter slowly melt as the oil heats up
·        Add the whole dry red chilies, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and let them sizzle
·        Add the chopped onions and add a pinch of sugar (for the onions to caramelize faster), sauté till the onions get some color
·        Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a few minutes
·        Add the dry masalas and keep stirring
·        Add the tomatoes and keep stirring till the tomatoes are all mashed up, I used my masher at this point to mash it all up


·        Add the kasuri methi and mix well (looking at the pic, I feel I added kasuri methi before I used the masher, do it the way you want!)
·        Pour the milk in and bring the gravy to a boil
·        Add the cubed paneer pieces and the green peas and give it a stir, let it simmer away for 5-7 minutes
·        Adjust salt and sugar
·        Once desired consistency is reached, turn off the stove and serve hot with Phulkas


No comments:

Post a Comment