Friday, December 21, 2012

Shrimp Pilaf / Prawn Pulao




It has been a while that I updated a recipe on my blog. It is not that I have not been cooking, I have; it is just that sometimes 24 hours seems too short to do all you wish to. The other day a friend ‘E’, who had previously shared her precious Bread Pudding recipe with me came to work and got some Prawn Pilaf, I ate and instantly liked it, it was mild with no strong flavors and just right for my taste. I had to make it the following weekend, considering the food freak I am.


I made it and it was an instant hit at my place. I made the same Pilaf with Chicken a few days later, I did not click any pictures though, but Chicken Pilaf can be made with this same recipe as well, only the Chicken is not pre-fried.


No stories today though, it is 21.12.2012, the day the world was supposed to end. It has not yet and it is already mid day where I am. In New Zealand, Australia and some other countries it is evening, so I guess the end has been postponed. I read this at a little girls (the reason I call her a little girl is because the last time I saw her, she was indeed little) wall on FB the other day ‘Given the rate at which we are regressing as a human race, I sincerely do hope the Mayans were right’ – so true – after the recent events in our National Capital, I feel ashamed to call myself an independent citizen or the fact that we live in a democracy. But this is too big an issue to be placed or discussed here. I leave you with my recipe with a very heavy heart & a prayer that the budding young girl can sustain the scars to her body and soul and recover. Thank you.  


Here is what you will need to make the Shrimp / Prawn Pilaf:


Shrimps / Prawns – about 300 gms – deveined and washed
Basmati Rice – washed – 2 cups
Cooking Oil – 2 tbsps
Bay Leaf – 2
Green Cardamoms – 4
Black Cardamoms – 2
Cinnamon – 1” stick
Cloves – 4
Whole Black Pepper – 7-8
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Green Chili Paste – 1tbsp (we like it hot, decrease if you want it mild)
Onions – 2 medium – thinly sliced
Peas – half cup (optional, it was in season hence I added)
Tomatoes – 1 medium – chopped
Biryani Masala Powder – 1tbsp (optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar to balance
Luke Warm Water – 4 cups + a little more if needed
Clarified Butter / Ghee – to drizzle on top


Preparation:


Heat 2 tbsp of Cooking Oil in a vessel and shallow fry the deveined and cleaned Shrimps and set aside. The Oil will be fully flavored from the just fried Shrimps. Use the same Oil.








Add a little more Oil if needed, about 1 tsp, heat. Add the Bay Leaves, Cinnamon, Green and Black Cardamoms, Peppercorns and Cloves and let them sizzle for 30 seconds.




Add the sliced Onions and fry them for 5 minutes in the same oil.






Add the Ginger-Garlic-Green Chili Paste and keep frying.




Add the Peas, stir.




Add the Tomatoes.




Add the Sugar, Salt, Turmeric Powder and Biryani Masala Powder, mix. Keep frying for some time.




Add the washed Basmati Rice, I did not soak the Rice at all. Mix thoroughly.
I add exactly double the quantity of Luke Warm Water to cook my Rice, if you use more or less, you will be the best judge. I slow cook this for the flavors to incorporate into each other. I cooked this at the lowest flame of my burner.
When the Rice was almost done, I added the Shrimps and mixed it one last time.















Switch off the Stove when you feel the Rice is done, if the top layer is a little underdone, do not worry, give it one good mix very gently, cover and let it sit for 10 minutes before you eat. The top layer which was a little underdone, will get done by then. Drizzle 1tsp of molten Clarified Butter for extra flavors, I did not.






Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment