Monday, March 8, 2010
CHINGRI MACHER MALAIKARI / PRAWNS IN COCONUT MILK
1. Prawns: 500 gms cleaned and deveined.
2. Onion: 1 medium, made into paste.
3. Green Chilli: 3-4, slit.
4. Ginger Paste: 1 tsp.
5. Garlic: 1 clove coarsely chopped.
6. Coconut Milk: 1 & ½ Cup.
7. Bay leaves: 2-3.
8. Cardamom: 4-5.
9. Cloves: 2-3.
10. Cinnamon: 1” stick.
11. Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp [for marination and curry together].
12. Red Chilli Powder: ½ tsp.
13. Salt to taste.
14. Oil to fry.
15. A little Sugar.
1. Clean and devein the Prawns as mentioned earlier, drain excess water, apply turmeric and salt and keep aside for 30 mins.
4. In a skillet, out some oil and add the coarsely chopped garlic pieces, once you get the aroma of fried garlic, scoop out the garlic pieces as we want to use the garlic scented oil.
5. Add the bay leaves and the coarsely pounded Cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
6. Once it starts to crackle, add the onion paste and the little sugar so that onion gets a brownish texture.
7. Sauté for a minute or 2 and then and add the ginger paste, fry till oil starts to separate.
8. Add the coconut milk and very little water [as per your need]as we don’t want this gravy to be watery.
9. Add red chilli powder, little turmeric powder and salt to taste.
10. Add the slit green chillies.
11. Mix well and bring it to boil.
12. Add the already fried prawns.
13. Cover and cook on medium heat till prawns are done and the gravy attains a creamy thick texture.
14. Serve with steamed rice.