Friday, September 28, 2012

Okra Curry with Potatoes - the Bong way




Yesterday’s day was a very significant day of my life. I accomplished something I never thought I would. He HATES Okra. All thanks to the Bengali homes who love making any sort of ‘Bhaat-e’ (Bhaat means Rice in Bengali and Bhaat-e means some vegetable which is boiled with Rice, mashed with salt and eaten as a condiment with Rice) with different vegetables, be it Radish, Raw Banana, Bitter Gourd or Okra. Now Okra when boiled, looks heavenly (pun intended), the juices of Okra leach out and it becomes a slimy gluey substance which many people eat sprinkling some salt on it with the first part of their meals (they say it is finger licking good too!). The very thought gets me so much off-colour; I have to say, I detest it too!! However, I have always been fond of Okra fry and a simple curry which both my Parents often make at home for dinner with Potatoes.


I had some Okra in my stock and wanted to make the curry as I did not feel like eating the fry; however, as I said earlier, he hates them. Hence I was in two minds, and then I thought, I will make him an Omelette if he really does not like it and gave it a go. He came back from work and said wow, what is that whiff, ‘Aloo Chorchori’ (A Bengali Potato curry)..ahhh! I said no, but it sure has Aloo (Potatoes) in it. I took off the cover and showed him, he was doubtful but inhaled the smoke gushing out of the still hot Okra Curry & said the aroma is heavenly (this time literally) ... I was in heaven too! Now that he likes the aroma, he will try it I knew. We had it with Rotis for Dinner & he loved it, he finished half the bowl & burped :D Make it often, he said!


Here is what you need to make the simplest of Okra Curry with Potatoes – the Bong way


Okra / Bhindi / Dharosh / Lady’s Finger – 250 gms
Potatoes – 2 – medium – sliced like in the picture
Onion – 1 – medium – chopped
Green Chillies – 2-3 – slit
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp – I used Mustard
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar to balance





Preparation:


·         Wash the Okra under running water, pat them dry on paper towels. Make sure they are completely dry before you cut them as we do not want that sticky texture





·         Cut Okra into 1” size pieces




·         Slice up the Potatoes




·         Heat Oil in an Kadhai (Indian Wok)
·         Add the Cumin Seeds and let them splutter




·         Add the chopped Onions and fry for 3-4 minutes till they become translucent




·         Add the Potatoes, fry for 2 minutes




·         Add the Okra, fry for 5-7 minutes






·         Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt and Sugar and fry for another 2-3 minutes




 


·         Add little water so that the Potatoes get cooked.




·         Once Potatoes are cooked, put the gas on high and make sure all the water evaporates, this is a dry preparation.




·         Garnish with slit Green Chillies and serve with Rice or Roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment