Thursday, September 27, 2012
Poached Egg Curry
Have been sick for a while. Hubby kept everything ready and left for work. There was ‘Kancha Lonka Murgi’ (he made) sitting in the Refrigerator which I had for Lunch. But the Cook-Freak in me started nipping as soon as it was evening. I had to make something. Checked my stockpile and found that I only had Eggs, no Meat, no Fish. I was bored of Egg-Curry and did not want to make it. My Father makes this nice curry with Omelettes in it, but I am not very fond of it. So I decided to make the same Curry with Poached Eggs.
Here is what you will need:
This will serve 2 people.
1. Eggs – 4
2. Onions – 2 medium – chopped
3. Ginger Paste – 1tsp
4. Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
5. Green Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
6. Tomato – 1 medium – chopped – (I used Tomato Puree)
7. Baby Potatoes – 7-8 peeled (Regular Potatoes can also be cubed and used)
8. Bay Leaves -2
9. Green Cardamom – 2
10. Cloves - 2
11. Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
12. Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
13. Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
14. Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp + 4 times ½ tsp for 4 Poached Eggs
15. Black Pepper Powder – 4 times ½ tsp for 4 Poached Eggs
16. Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
17. Salt to taste
18. Sugar to balance
19. Mustard Oil – 3 tbsp (Any other Oil of your choice can also be used)
20. Cooking Oil – 4 tsp - to make the Poached Eggs
· Heat 1 tsp of Oil in a Pan and break the Eggs into it one at a time and make the Poached Eggs – sprinkle some Salt, ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder & ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder on it. Once one side is done, flip it and fry the side (with the yolk) lightly as well. Keep.
· Smear a little Turmeric Powder and Salt on the baby Potatoes and fry in hot oil for sometime till they turn golden.
· In a Pan, heat 3 tbsp of Mustard Oil, add the Bay Leaves, Green Cardamoms and Cloves – let them sizzle.
· Add a pinch of Turmeric Powder and 1 tsp of Sugar.
· Add the chopped Onions and let them caramelize.
· Once a little towards translucent, add the Ginger-Garlic-Green Chilli Paste – stir for a few minutes.
· Add the chopped Tomatoes or Tomato Puree – cook till the Tomatoes are almost done.
· Add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Turmeric Powder and cook till the dry spices are cooked.
· Add the fried baby Potatoes.
· Add desired amount of Water for the gravy, cover and cook till the Potatoes are done.
· Once done and the gravy is as per desired, drop the Poached Eggs into the gravy.
· Garnish with broken Green Chillies and server with Plain White Rice.