Thursday, October 11, 2012

Murgi-r Jhol - Bengali Chicken Curry




With all the hubbub of going home in 2 days it was impossible to make something impressive & post it too. I thought of making the evergreen ‘Murgi-r Jhol’ (Bengali Chicken Curry) which will survive us for the next 2 days in a jiffy; but with all the pending packing and 9 hours of slogging daily at work, taking out the DSLR and clicking delectable pictures of the process seemed unattainable. I resorted to the phone camera and clicked only the final dish.





As mentioned earlier, I made this in a jiffy, literally. My ‘Sheila Mausi’ came in the morning and sliced up the Onions, Tomatoes, Green Chillies & left it in the Refrigerator. I went home, marinated the Chicken for 30 minutes, blended the Tomatoes, Onions and Green Chillies, grated the Ginger & Garlic, cut some medium Potatoes into halves and fried them & finally Pressure Cooked all this with the required Spices. The result is here.




‘A’ (Hubby) finished his plate of ‘Murgi-r Jhol’ with some plain white Rice & said it was splendid; I told him, “I will put this up on the blog, make it whenever I am not home & you are hungry”.



Here is what you will need to make Murgi-r Jhol:


For the Marinade:

Chicken – 750 gms cut into medium pieces
Curd – 2 tsp
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp (I grated the Ginger)
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp (I grated this too)
Onion – 1 small or half of a medium – I grated this into the Chicken
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Mustard Oil – 1 tsp
Mix all this together and let them sit for 20 minutes. As I said, I was running out of time. You can easily keep this for 1 hour, the longer the better.


Other Ingredients for the Curry:


Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
Bay Leaves – 2
Whole Dry Red Chillies – 2 – broken from the centre
Cinnamon – 1” stick
Green Cardamoms – 4
Black Cardamoms – 2
Cloves - 5
Onions – 3 medium, made into a paste in the blender
Tomatoes – 2 small, puréed
Green Chillies – 4-5 – I blended these with the Onions and added
Potatoes – 3 – halved and tossed around in some Mustard Oil for a few minutes
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
Handful of Coriander leaves for garnishing
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt to taste


Method:


·         In some Mustard Oil,  toss the halved Potatoes around for a few minutes and keep. I do not prefer to put them in raw
·         Heat Mustard Oil in a Pressure Cooker
·         Add the Bay Leaves, Dry Red Chillies, Cinnamon, Green and Black Cardamoms, Cloves and let them sizzle for a minute
·         Add 1 tsp of Sugar
·         Add the Onion and Green Chilli paste – wait till the color changes to a mild golden
·         Add the puréed Tomatoes, cook for a few more minutes
·         Add the dry spices in now, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder & Garam Masala Powder and cook till the spices are cooked through
·         Add the marinated Chicken pieces into this, DO NOT add the marinade; keep it for adding later
·         Add the fried Potato halves
·         Cook for a few minutes and see the texture of the Chicken pieces changing
·         Add Salt to taste
·         Add 3/4th cup of water to the remaining marinade, mix and add to the Chicken
·         Close the lid of the Pressure Cooker, set the flame to high and let it whistle 5 times.
·         Let the pressure go down on its own
·         Open the lid and pour it out into a serving bowl
·         Garnish with some chopped Coriander leaves
·         Eat with plain white Rice




You enjoy your ‘Murgi-r Jhol’ while I finish my packing & head home! It is Durga Pujo folks !!



This picture was taken at 'Nabapalli Sangha', Tollygunge Circular Road, Kolkata last year, 2011. 


& my Calcutta is calling me :D




Will be back on the day of Laxmi Pujo, 29th

2 comments:

  1. Very nice recipe. I liked the added tips about the marinade. Cooking the same before durga pujo 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I apologize for being so late. Hope you had a wonderful Durga Pujo, do let me know how it went :)

      Delete