Tuesday, October 9, 2012
All thanks to the Mughal Dynasty’s colonization in India, along with them also migrated Mughal cuisine & their various types of Kebabs. Amongst the n number of Kebabs one is Shami Kebabs which is minced meat (Mutton or Beef) with ground Chickpeas (Bengal Gram) & other spices made into small patties & shallow fried. So Shami Kebabs is what I will be sharing today. I pretty much made it like PreeOccupied and referred to this. However, I did change the measurements a little & added a couple of ingredients too and here is what I exactly did.
Here is what you will need:
The recipe I am sharing makes about 30 medium Shami Kebabs
Minced Meat – 400 gms (I used Goat, Beef or Lamb can be used too)
Garlic cloves – 6
Bengal Gram / Chana Dal – 100 gms
Whole Black Peppercorns – 10
Black Cardamoms – 4
Cinnamon – 1” long piece (broken)
· In a Pressure Cooker add all the above ingredients with enough water and cook for 5 whistles.
· Let the pressure go down on its own.
· Drain in a Colander and let it rest for sometime so that all the water is drained out.
· Once done grind this mixture in a blender in parts. It should be a coarse mixture. Make sure the Chana Dal is well blended.
· Once done put all the mixture in a large bowl and add the following
Onion – 1 medium, chopped fine
Green Chillies – 5-6, chopped fine
Handful of Coriander leaves – chopped fine
Garlic Cloves – 6 – grated
Ginger – 2” – grated
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Eggs – 2
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sattu : 4 tbsp (Optional, however, if possible do add)
· Mix well using your hands.
· Make small Patty out of these as shown in the picture and flatten them out and keep.
· Heat Cooking Oil in a Pan to smoking
· Slide the Kebabs in. Once one side is done, turn and fry the other side.
· It takes about 3 minutes on each side as Pree says on high heat.
· Serve with Salad and Coriander Chutney.