1. Chicken cut into medium pieces-500 gms.
2. Onion -1-2 medium finely chopped.
3. Tomato-1 chopped.
4. Green Chillies-4-5 chopped.
5. Coriander Powder – 2 ½ tsps.
6. Garam Masala Powder-½ tsp.
7. Cumin Powder-1 tsp.
8. Turmeric Powder-½ tsp.
9. Red Chilly Powder-1 tsp.
10. Cashew nuts -50 gms [optional].
11. Ginger Garlic paste-2 tbsps.
12. Yogurt-1 ½ tbsp.
13. Salt to taste.
14. Sugar-½ tsp.
15. Cooking Oil or Butter.
1. Clean the chicken pieces and marinate with yogurt, coriander powder,half of the garam masala,cumin,red chilly and turmeric powder। Add half of the ginger garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Keep this marination aside for 1-1 ½ hours preferably in the refrigerator.
2. Heat oil or butter in a skillet and fry the chopped onions till transparent.
3. Add the tomatoes and the green chillies.
4. Add sugar and salt mix well.
5. Cook for a while till tomatoes become tender.
6. Add ginger garlic paste,remaining turmeric,cumin and red chilli powder.
7. Cook till oil starts separating.
8. Add marinated chicken pieces to the skillet.
9. Keep mixing, avoid adding water as long as you can and keep mixing it well atleast for 15 minutes.
10. Add water little at a time [according to the amount of gravy you want].
11. Add the cashew nuts.
12. Cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes or till the chicken is cooked.
13. Add the remaining garam masala powder and mix well.
14. Dhaniya Chicken is ready, serve hot with Fried Rice or Steamed Rice.
NOTE : A bunch of coriander leaves can be used instead of the coriander powder which can be made into a puree and added to the gravy, this gives a stonger taste and smell of coriander. I don’t use it as I don’t like the smell of coriander leaves:)