Thursday, August 30, 2012

Relationships & Egg Tadka

When I met her, I thought, she was this ever-inquisitive lady I could never fathom & thus did not develop an instant liking for her (Credit goes to the fact that we both loved the same person). But gradually down the years, she became a friend & a confidante. We gossiped, we inspired each other, we argued, learnt together, shared and cared; the bond became strong with the passing time. A lady with whom I share a beautiful relationship, both bitter & sweet; a person with whom, in spite of the generation gap between us, I have manifold things in common. Sometimes I feel, she is the Sister I never had. The resemblance in us is incalculable, be it our never say die attitude or being the argumentative Indians we both are, both being bibliophiles & great lovers of cookery & of course the most vital connection – the pillar of our lives, her Son, my better half!

Yes, it is My Maa-In-Law & I will be sharing the Egg Tadka recipe that I learnt from her: D

I have always loved the Tadka that both Babai (My Father) & Dadai (My Brother) used to bring home whenever we got bored of the routine Dinners. With Egg, I would insist & they would get this steaming Egg Tadka in a clay pot along with Rumali Rotis & some salad from a road side Dhaba. Those were blessed days and I would splurge on this splendid dinner adoringly.

I always wanted to make the Tadka the Dhaba way but never could find an appropriate recipe till Maa-In-Law shared hers with me. She had learnt it from one of her Aw-Bangali bondhu (Non-Bengali Friend) from her Para (locality). Though I still have not learnt the art of making Rumali Rotis, with which Tadka tastes the best, I can still gulp down uncountable number of plain Rotis with this Maa-In-Law made Tadka. She never adds Egg (It tastes all the same, has the Maa touch after all), however, I do. As I simply adore some eggs in my Tadka.

Here is what you need to make this: (This will serve 4 people)

1.   Black Moong and Chana dal mixed in equal proportions – 1 Cup.




2.   Onions – 2-3 medium – finely chopped.
3.   Green Chillies – 5 – finely chopped.
4.   Garlic – about 10 cloves – finely chopped.
5.   1” piece of Ginger – finely chopped.
6.   Tomato – 1 large - chopped


7.   Oil for frying.
8.   Salt to taste.
9.   Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
10.                Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
11.                 Kasuri Methi – 2 tsps. (Dried Fenugreek leaves)




12.                 Clarified Butter / Ghee - 1tsp (to drizzle on top -optional)
13.                 Eggs – 2 – scrambled with some salt (Optional)



How to prepare it:

-      Wash the lentils and soak in water for about 30 minutes.




-      Pressure cook lentils for 12-15 whistles or till almost done.
-      In a Pan, heat the Oil.
-      Add the Onions and stir for a while.



-      Add the chopped Ginger and Garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.



-      Add the chopped Green Chillies and fry for 30 seconds.



-      Add the tomatoes and mix, let the tomatoes cook till they are not raw any more.




-      Add the boiled Lentils to this and mix.




-      Add Salt, Turmeric Powder and Red Chilli Powder and mix.



-      Add enough water and let it come to a boil.



-      Let it simmer for some time.




-      Take 2 tsps of Kasuri Methi and rub between your palms and add, mix.




-      Once desired consistency is reached, add the scramble Eggs and mix once more.




-      Drizzle the Ghee / Clarified Butter on top.




-      Serve with Rumali Rotis or plain Rotis & some Onion-Cucumber-Chilli Salad with a dash of lime.




No comments:

Post a Comment