Monday, August 20, 2012
Suji ka Halwa / Sheera
In my Maternal Grand Parents house, Didu (Grand Maa) always makes these bowls of Suji (Semolina) as a part of breakfast almost twice a week. I still remember asking Didu for some left over Suji during Dinner, I used to like it so much. The smell of it still warms my heart & takes me back in time.
Like all, my life changed too, Didu-Dadu’s little Granddaughter grew up and shifted base to another City with a job, then got married and settled there. The visits which were as regular as once every weekend shrank to once a year. Hence the little girl had to learn to warm her heart herself. :(
I just made a different variety of the Suji Didu makes. I added some dry fruits and kesar to it and called it Suji Ka Halwa. It is also called Sheera in many parts of India.
Here is what you will need :
Ingredients : (For 2)
1. Suji / Semolina – 150 gm
2. Sugar – as sweet as you want it – powdered in a blender if possible.
3. Ghee / Clarified butter – 2 tsp
4. Handful of Cashews & Raisins.
5. Some Kesar mixed in 2 tsps of water.
1. Heat Ghee in a pan.
2. Add the Cashews and the Raisins and brown them lightly.
3. Add the Semolina and keep stirring.
4. Add the Sugar and keep stirring.
5. Add water and boil for a while.
6. Add Kesar and milk mix.
7. Once Semolina is cooked & the thickness as per you desire, switch off the stove.
8. Garnish with any leftover dry fruits and serve.