Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Chingri Maacher Malaikari - Prawns in a rich coconut milk gravy
Had the Prawns sitting in the Freezer for 3 days now. Today, I just had to give them some justice. What better than the Mother of all Prawn recipes, The Malaikari! Quickly checked my stockpile for some Coconut Milk, found some Maggi Instant Coconut Milk Powder :| though I would have been happier making it myself but ‘He’ was too lazy to help me crack the whole Coconut sitting in the Freezer .. Hence I decided Maggi ready-made Coconut Milk Powder it is! I was already day-dreaming succulent prawns dipped in the rich milk!
This is what we will need :
1. Prawns cleaned and de-veined – 500 gms.
2. Onion – 1 large – made into a coarse paste in a blender.
3. Maggi Instant Coconut Milk Powder – I used one 150 gm pack
4. Turmeric Powder – ½ + 1 tsp
5. Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
6. Green Cardamoms – 3
7. Cinnamon – 1” piece stick
8. Cloves – 3-4
9. Bay leaf – 2-3
10. Green Chillies – 3-4 – slit
11. Ginger – one big knob – grated
12. Garlic cloves – 3 medium – grated.
13. Mustard Oil
14. Sugar to taste
15. Salt to taste
And here is how I made it :
- Smear the Prawns with Salt and Turmeric and keep aside for about 15 minutes.
- Coarsely pound the cinnamon, cardamom & cloves and keep.
- Heat 2 cups of water in the Microwave for 30 seconds and mix the Maggi Instant Coconut Milk Powder and keep.
- Heat Mustard Oil in a Pan & lightly fry the Prawns about 3 minutes on each side.
- The fat will separate here. Do not cook the Prawns too much, as we still need to cook them in the gravy and if overcooked they will become rubbery.
Once done transfer into a different plate and keep clicking like I did ! :D
- You can use the same oil or keep this oil for adding a little later as I did as this has a lot of flavors.
- Put the coarsely pounded Garam Masalas in along with the bay leaf.
- Add the Turmeric.
- Add some Sugar as the Onions go in next – add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, do not burn them!
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the red chilli powder and add salt.
- Now pour in the Coconut milk & oil with which the prawns were fried here, let it come to a boil and then simmer.
- Add the Prawns and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Switch off the stove once you reach desired consistency in the gravy.
- Serve with plain white rice.