Friday, November 16, 2012
Bowl full of Winter Goodness – Mixed vegetables
Today I am to share one of the curries which is very regular back home; to be eaten with Chapatis for Dinner. Most of these vegetables are available during Winter hence it is prepared mostly on Chilly nights. For me this dish brings along a lot of wrapped warmth just like it is needed during the cold dreary days of Winter. An extremely simple dish and full of nutrition. A must try with kids and adults alike :D
Here is what you will need to make Mixed Vegetables:
Cauliflower – 1 small – cut into florets
Carrots – 2 small – cubed
Green Beans – 15 – chopped like in the picture
Capsicum – 1 medium – sliced
Peas – ½ Cup – I used frozen ones
Green Chillies – 5 – slit
Shallots – 5-6 optional
Tomato – 1 medium - quartered
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp for tempering
Mustard Oil / Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar to balance
Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp – sprinkle to garnish
· In a Kadhai heat the 2 tbsps of Oil
· Add the Cumin Seeds and let them dizzle
· Add the slit Green Chillies and the Shallots, sauté for a minute.
· Add the rest of the Vegetables.
· Mix thoroughly so that all the Vegetables are coated in the hot Oil.
· Add the Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt and Sugar and mix.
· Add the quartered Tomato.
· Add enough water for the Vegetables to cook through.
· Checked once the water dries up if all the vegetables are cooked – if not – add more water and cook for some more time.
· Once the Veggies are cooked, make all the water evaporate and turn off the Stove.
· Garnish with a sprinkle of Garam Masala Powder and serve.