Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dim-Posto (Eggs in Poppy Seed Gravy)




Posto’ for me is synonymous to ‘heaven’! ‘Aloo Posto’ is God’s own food, I am sure! Posto is Poppy Seeds \ Khus Khus which is the Oil-seed obtained from Opium Poppy. That reminds me I sent my Brother, the 1st two books from the Ibis Trilogy crafted by the magnanimous Author, Amitav Ghosh & my Sis-In-Law says that ‘Sea Of Poppies’ is totally gripping and worth it. The series is a must read :D





Coming back to the recipe for the day, it was the end of the week and there was nothing besides Eggs waiting in the Refrigerator. However, I am not fond of mundane Egg Curries hence I always have to make my Egg Curries a little bit different from the regular ones. After browsing through my stockpile, I looked at my precious jar of Poppy Seeds which I use with utmost care as they travel all the way crossing 5 States on the way to my Kitchen, straight from Bengal. Yes, my Mother In Law sends my supply of Posto as she like many others think, the Posto that you get in Bengal, tastes way better than the Posto you get in any other part of the World. As a visit from her is due soon, I could feast on the Posto in the jar without much guilt :)


‘A’ took this to work for Lunch and loved it and as I had already clicked a few pictures here and there, thought of posting it here. It indeed tasted different and the plates were smacked clean!





Here is what you will need to make Dim-Posto (Eggs in Poppy Seed Gravy):

Eggs – 4
Potatoes – 1 medium, quartered – 1 quarter to accompany each Egg
Onion – 1 medium, made into paste
Tomato – 1 small – puréed
Poppy Seeds – 5 heaped tbsps
Green Chilies – 3 / to your taste – made into paste along with the Poppy Seeds + 2 - slit to garnish
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp / to taste
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar to balance
Oil for cooking
Luke Warm Water – 1 – 1.5 Cups


How to make Dim-Posto (Eggs in Poppy Seed Gravy):


Dry grind the Poppy Seeds first and then add the Chillies. Add Water little at a time mix and grind again till you have a smooth thick paste

Hard Boil the Eggs, shell them

Smear Salt and Turmeric onto the hard boiled Eggs and Quartered Potatoes

Shallow fry the Eggs and Potatoes in hot Oil and set aside

In the same Oil, add a pinch of Sugar and add the Onion Paste and fry till the color changes

Add the Ginger and the Garlic Pastes and sauté for 2 minutes

Add the Tomato Purée and cook till Oil starts separating

Add the Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder and Coriander Powder and sauté till the spices are not raw any more

Add Salt to taste and mix well

Add the Poppy Seed – Green Chilli Paste and mix, add 1 cup of Luke warm water and bring the gravy to a boil, add more or less of water according to your taste; in case you want runny gravy add 1.5 cups, if you want a thick gravy add 1 cup and reduce the same in the cooking process

Add the quartered Potatoes and let them cook covered in the gravy for 10 minutes or till they are done

Add the fried hard boiled Eggs in and cook for another 5 minutes. This dish tastes best when the gravy is NOT runny, it is not a dry preparation either, it is a dish with a thick gravy


The spread for that day; Steamed Rice, Fried Potatoes with Poppy Seeds, Yellow Lentil Soup. Dim Posto (Eggs in Poppy Seeds Gravy), Doi Maachh (Catla in a Curd based  Gravy - the post for which is still pending) and Home-made Curd


Garnish with the slit Green Chillies and serve with Steaming Plain White Rice

If You Like My Page Please Join Me On My Facebook Page


No comments:

Post a Comment